Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Camphor Tree (Cinnamomum camphora)

BERRIES!!
However I'm at a complete loss as to identify this tree
I have searched the internet for possible 4 hours... felt close with black gum and other relations of the gum but... they just weren't the same..

02/22/2012 
went to my neighborhood library and found some reference books. 
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees Eastern Region
Is the one I found and I also found it to be exceptionally helpful.
possibilities: 
Camphor-tree - 448
Osage-orange - 429

AND SUCCESS!
I flip to page 448 and find exactly what I am looking for. 
Cinnamomum camphora


some interesting things about this tree:
~ Camphor is a white crystalline substance, obtained from the tree Cinnamomum camphora. Camphor has been used for many centuries as a culinary spice, a component of incense, and as a medicine. Camphor is also an insect repellent and a flea-killing substance.





^^ bark
^^ berry dissected 

No comments:

Post a Comment